Kallappa

Friday, March 04, 2005

I just met a senior from my School Sainik School Bijapur. He is 25 years senior to me, yes 25 years senior to me and what more he is a Lt.Col. doing what in SIBM? He is doing his MBA in HR from SIMS. I might wonder why on earth did he wan to do an MBA and what this would do to him.

Apart from all this the primary purpose of this here is talk about the concern he showed about the apathy of students of MBA, how unwilling are they to study the subjects that they have choosen to make a career of.

Here i am who has decided to invest 2 years of my valuable time to learn something that would give a real value add. It is just not my time that i have invested here but the fact that i have not taken up my first job that was offering me a princely sum of 2.5 lakhs. Although this amount looks megre in comparision to what i expect to get after this course i begin to wonder at times as to if i am really worth the money the companies would be offering me.

As one of my friend who finished his MBA from a premier institute in India said to me, he said "According me MBA is the most fradulent degree awarded in the country". I had begun to wonder how this could be true. We always see people turning around companies making strategic decisions affecting the course of the companies being MBA's.

After wondering about his statement fo almost a year and spending one full year in an MBA course, i have formed my own opinions. I believe MBA has given me a great perspective. A good launch pad or to use a jargon "a strategic inflection point" in my life to the way i look at life and towards everyting i do. The way we look at things has been changed for ever.

But is this sufficient for one to jump up his salary expectation 4 fold? If yes no further questions. But if this is not enough then what is that one thing that makes us eligible to even dream of figures that as non MBA's we could have never thought of?

I think the one thing that makes stand poles apart from others is "confidence". But how on earth this course gives you confidence? I believe it is the kind of content that you build here that gives us the ammunition to face the world. If content is the ammunition that would help us win the war, and no amount of strategy would help us in the battle if we do not have the required ammunition to fight then how do we forget this basic fact within 6-8 months into an MBA course. Why do we develop a confidence of saying that we can "faff" our way through to glory?

Why do we get into a rat race of adding CV points that would make our resume look diferent. Even if it is just for the heck of it. Agreed that to break the clutter you need to be different, we need to understand the fact that being different is just a means to achieving our larger GOAL. But is it right to have "being different" itself as our all encompassing GOAL?

We migh tdo good if we sit out and write out a mission statement for ourself just like Tom Cruise did in Jerry Mcquire (is my spelling right?) and am i right in asking others. For that matter i do not have a mission statement for myself. Let me start to write one.

I think things are now getting out of my hand. Let me stop mow. Shall continue.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home