Kallappa

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Of being seniors so soon

I was standing at the entrance of GH1 waiting to eagerly welcome the batch of 2006-08 into the XL fold as it happens year after year. A lot memories came flooding at that time remembering the times when we were welcomed in a similar fashion last year. How fast the time flies we all wondered...It was 1 year and we were standing there at the beginning of what would probably the last year in school(academic) for most of us for the school of life just awaits us at the door steps.

I started to wonder...what have i done in the last year..what did i learn in XL in the 1st year..am i wiser than last year..and if yes what is that which has made me wiser? Is it the umpteen projects, the cases, the couse work or is it the exams that i faced, what is it? i wonder...

What were the poingnant moments of one year at XL? Let me make an effort here to recollect a few and note them..so that these will remain etched in some memories of an obsure hard disk of google.

1. QT-1 1st Quiz

Facing QT-1 Quiz with utmost calm amidst all the hype and hoopla..although i just managed to lead the SDC(Single Digits' Club - I scored 9, and this has been my highest in the entire course), i am happy with the way i approached the test.. This is what L taught me..to reamin composed and to work towards the goal and not to get caught in the hype around you..even when u know that you are not the best in that field.. Some wise People claim "What they dont teach u at B-School" but according to me, these things they dont teach u perse but the B-School atmosphere teaches you implicitly.

2. Being left out of Day 1 Placement

This was a shocker...I wasnt expecting to be left out of the placements on the first day. When everyone else in my batch was preparing for some GD or interview; sitting in formals, i was there roaming around aimlessly, watching others celebrate their success.. I was standing there as an outcast, like karna who did not even get a chance to showcase his talents...What a comparision but it is what i felt...Kept wondering...if at all i get a chance...Mera number kab aayega?

It was traumatising, waiting for 4 days without knowing if you would ever get a shortlist...had to control myself and put up a brave face..But on the hindsight if i look at it it was of my own making. I had decided not to aply to any company that comes calling but to only those company's where i wanted to work (read FMCG - sales). I hadnt applied for the so called hep and happening consults or the banks...so i effect i was rejected only by 3 companies..Not a bad thing at all. But still the thought of having to sit out was killing me..Started to wonder if my decision was a wise one..

I had no choice but to wait..But then when the D-day arrived (Slot 2), it was my day...i hit the battle ground with a vengence...like a reserve player getting a chance to play the finals of world cup when one of the key player is substitued...coming and playing for my life. Never in my life i wanted something that badly... I kept telling myself that i could do it..I kept backing myself..

What did i learn or what did XL teach me? No case study analysis would have equipped me for this...But XL taught me to be unfazed at the hurdles posed at us as we shall over come... I was very happy with compnay i was selected for and must tell you that it has turned out to be a great learning experience...

More on these issues to be continued in the next edition

Kallappa M Pattanashetti

1 Comments:

  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Harsh said…

    Aah! It hurts - lekin as they say "Loha aag main hi tap ke steel banta hain"... following one's heart is not easy... And, you did it..amongst the pool of crawling invertebrates tht. the world is full of [:)]

     

Post a Comment

<< Home